An essential tour for the understanding of Venice!! Have a walk outdoors through the most historical and important places of Venice.
A qualified and experienced local guide will escort you through the millennium of life of the Serenissima Republic focusing on the byzantine story!
- Piazza San Marco - Origins, history and description of the main monuments: Basilica San Marco, Palazzo Ducale, Bell Tower, Clock Tower and Procuratie.
- Santa Maria Formosa - History and anecdotes related to this wonderful and characteristic square. Campo SS. Giovanni e Paolo The "Pantheon" of Venice, the Great School of Charity, the Captains of fortune. Marco Polo’s House and Malibran Theatre - Anecdotes and past and recent history cross each other in this beautiful corner of Venice. Return to San Marco through the Mercerie, vital connection between Rialto and San Marco and the main street for the city shopping.
- After a bit of leisure you visit one of the most majestic cathedrals of the world! On this tour, escorted by a guide prepared in accordance with the Curia of Venice, enjoy a full visit of this masterpiece of byzantine art, unique of its kind in Italy, you'll have the pleasure to savour beautiful gold mosaics and marble inlays of the floors, sitting comfortably while our guide will show you the represented biblical scenes, the history and the particularities of this ancient basilica. Admire The Pala d'oro, exquisite example of the byzantine art with its thousands of gems and precious stones.
At the end of your activity you will have the opportunity to do the free optional tour the Glass Craftsman Demonstration visiting a Glass Factory very close to Saint Mark's square (20 minutes tour). Please follow the instruction that our staff will provide to you locally.
- Meeting point: St. Mark's Square - Clock Tower near exchange office (the white building with blue clock facade). Our assistant will wait for you with the sign “TOUR”. Do NOT go to the Bell Tower. (See the map and indications below)
- Ending point: San Marco area
- Availability & operation: from 1st April 2021 until 31st March 2022. The tour does not operate on 1st and 6th January 2022, 25th April 2022, 15th August 2022, 1st November 2022, 8th and 25th December 2022.
- Departure and meeting: From Monday to Saturday at 9:00 AM. Please, be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the departure.
- Inclusion: shared guided walking tour by a qualified and experienced guide – “Skip the line” the Basilica and Pala D’Oro guided tour – Audio receiver devices are included in case of groups over 10 people – Glass craftsman at work close to Saint Mark’s Square. - 1 hour inside the Basilica -
- Duration: 2 hours and 30 (20 minutes more for the Glass craftsman at work in St. Mark's Square). It ends at 1:00 PM.
- Languages: the visit is monolingual: From 1st April to 31st October 2021: English, Italian, Spanish, German and French: from Monday to Saturday; From 3rd November 2021 to 31st March 2022: English: from Monday to Saturday, French: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, Spanish: Thursday and Saturday, German: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Italian: Friday and Saturday; From 1st April to 2nd November 2022: English, French, Spanish, German and Italian: from Monday to Saturday
- Gross price public rate:
€ 59 € 56 and free under 6 years old. No minimum participants required
- Sale & reservation: Free sale until the beginning of the tour
- Cancellation: bookings can be cancelled with no charge up to 24 hours before the service. Tours does not operate in case of exceptional high tide or in case of unplanned religious functions (in these cases it can be postponed to the day after otherwise it will be refunded).
- Voucher: You should have the voucher where is written “service provided by Venice Tours Srl”. Mobile vouchers are accepted
- Commission: refer to contract
- Confirmation: Please ask clients to NOT to reconfirm
Unfortunately, this tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities.
Between the walking tour and the Basilica tour there is a gap of 1 hour.
Tour does not operate in case of exceptional high tide or in case of special religious functions (in these cases it can be postponed the day after otherwise it will be refunded).
During some days of high turnout or for reason of force majeure (for example high tide or security problems) the waiting time to access St.Mark's Balisica might be longer than expected: in this case, please line up and respect the instructions provided by the guide.
Comfortable shoes suggested.
For general conditions refer to our brochure “Discovering Venice”.
HOW TO REACH THE MEETING POINT:
ARRIVING BY PUBLIC VAPORETTO
Take line #1 and get off at “San Marco Vallaresso” stop or line #2 and get off at “San Marco Giardinetti” stop. Once you get off the vaporetto, turn right and go straight on to the two columns, then turn left and reach Saint Mark’s Square. Once by the Bell Tower, go straight on leaving the Basilica on your right and you find the assistant waiting for you with the signboard TOUR under the Clock Tower.
ARRIVING ON FOOT
The Clock Tower is located in Saint Mark’s Square. Once by the Bell Tower, go straight on leaving the Basilica on your right and you will find the assistant waiting for you with the signboard TOUR under the Clock Tower.
REF. CODE FOR OPERATORS ONLY: VTBYZANTIN